Thursday, April 5, 2007

Almost 11 Months

I went back to my archives today to see when exactly I started this blog. I knew I was getting close to the one year mark, but am not quite there yet.

I was reading my archives from May and June of last year, and I just have to say that I'm so glad that I started blogging. There are so many memories that I have captured over the past eleven months, especially the little things. Little things that I possibly would have forgotten otherwise. Like our last visit with Frau Hammer, or my last Mother's Day in Germany, or the last wives' Coffee I went to that last week, or some of the details of our trip back to the States, particularly where my husband allowed my Leatherman to get confiscated at the airport. And all of that was just in May. That was my first month blogging, and I only blogged part of the month. I didn't really hit my blogging groove for a few months.

It's just amazing to me how far I've come over the last year. I don't think I'm a better writer than I was almost a year ago, but I've definitely become much more comfortable. I've come to realize that I'm keeping this blog for ME, although I do appreciate those of you who come and read it. There are still things that I hold back, and probably always will to protect my hubby and kids, but I open up more and more every day.

I didn't really have any long term plans when I started this blog, other than having a way to keep in touch with my friends and family. Now, though, I can see myself keeping this up for a long time to come. My reasons for writing have changed. Although I do still want to have this as a way to keep in touch with friends and family, letting them know what's going on with us, my primary reason for blogging now is to have an outlet. This has ended up being very therapeutic for me. Sometimes when I have nobody else to talk to about things, my blog is a wonderful way to get things off my chest.

I'm so glad I started this...