Friday, May 12, 2006

Last day of work and more...

Today was my last day of work. This was another bittersweet time for me. While I am so ready to move on to what the Army has in store for us next, I have had a great experience (at least for the most part) in this job I've had for the last three years. The people I worked with helped me through one of the most difficult years of my life (the year P. was in Iraq). It was also my first job after being a full time mom and wife for five years. While I was a bit rusty when I first started, this experience helped me to regain my confidence and to realize that I hadn't forgotten that much after all.

This evening we moved into the guesthouse on post. Just another step toward moving away from the place which has been our home for the past four years. The good thing about it is that it will now be easier for us to finish up what we need to get done at the house before our termination inspection. It also means, however, that we no longer have access to our kitchen and all the conveniences that you become so used to at home. Some things will be easier, though. At least we'll have AFN for our last week and a half. One more week and a half of the wonderful AFN public announcement commercials, and then we go back to "real" commercials. How will I ever adjust?

We gave the kids their choice of where to eat dinner tonight. They both agreed on where to go, and we went to their favorite restaurant here. We've been going to this restaurant since we moved here. The kids always order the same thing, and after dinner, they get to go to the kitchen and choose what kind of ice cream they want. We're going to miss Oma Hammer so much! I've been thinking about all the things I'm going to miss about Germany lately. There's actually quite a bit! I find comfort by telling myself that we'll return some day.