Monday, April 2, 2007

I Love My Friends

I talked to an old college friend today. I reconnected with her through MySpace a few months ago (actually, she found me and contacted me), and found out that she lives in Raleigh, which is about an hour and a half away from where I live. She's originally from New Jersey, so I was a little bit surprised when I found out how close she was. Before she contacted me through MySpace, it had been over ten years since I'd seen or talked to her last, which is really sad since she was one of my best friends my Sophomore year. We met our Freshman year, but got really close the next year after a couple of our other friends left. So although I don't keep up with my MySpace page the way I should, I'm glad I have it, because I've reconnected with several people that I lost contact with years ago because of it.

I called Melissa this afternoon because I found out when I went to lunch with the hubby today that he's going to have to be in Raleigh Friday for an awards ceremony. I asked him if it was one of those things that family members were invited to or not. I figured one way or the other, I'd go up that way, too, and try to meet up with Melissa for lunch or something while we were there. So I called her to see what her plans were for that day. She's going to be working, so she wouldn't be able to get together until about 4 that afternoon or later, which I thought would be ok, because the hubby's thing was scheduled to go until 2 p.m., and I figured we could all grab an early dinner or something.

Well, we ended up being on the phone for over an hour this afternoon. That may not seem like a lot, but I'm not usually one to talk on the phone. After the first few minutes we were on the phone, we were talking almost like no time had ever passed between us. It's so nice to have friends like that who you can just talk to like that after so much time has passed. We're not going to be able to get together this week like we'd hoped, because it turns out that the hubby's thing is going to be over earlier Friday than we'd thought (his Battalion Commander is hoping for close to noon), and he wants to get home and try to do some moving that afternoon. Am I gonna argue with that? I think not! So I called her back this evening, and we agreed to try again in a couple of weeks.

Well, not only did I get to talk to my old college friend this evening, but Christy called me, too. I always love talking to her. She and I probably have more in common than most people realize. So she was asking me about the new house, and about the whole home-buying process, and I was telling her all about it. I wish everybody could have an experience buying a house like we did. Everything went so smoothly, and I feel so blessed. So I told her that she and her hubby should have no problems buying when they're ready. We've all heard horror stories, especially when it comes to dealing with the VA guaranteed loans, so I hope that the hubby and I can help someone out with sharing our experience.

It was just so great talking with both of my friends today. Even though they each knew me at completely different times of my life, they each have played a significant role, and I have such fond memories associated with each of them. It's funny, because Melissa knew me during my incredibly shy phase (yes, I really used to be shy, for those of you who know me now). She and I talked about that some today, and she acted so proud when I told her that I'm no longer that shy girl, and that now I'm not afraid to assert myself when need be. And Christy and I have shared so much, from good times to difficult times. Although I wasn't one of the 2-2 gals, I think she always knew that I'd be there for her if she needed me, and vice versa. She sort of represents a different period in my life, but no more or less important than Melissa. I just find it interesting that I talked to both of them today. I have a tendency to connect things like that in my life that may not be connected otherwise.

So, like I said, I love my friends. Each of my friends plays such an important part in my life. Those of you that I call friend, regardless how close we were, you're important to me and I'm thankful for you. Some of my friends I know in real life, and some of my friends have been "cyber" friends only. Neither is more or less important than the other, because as I said before, you each play an important part in my life. Thank you so much for your friendship and support, and for listening to me when I needed you. I am truly blessed.