Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Insurance

So I called our local insurance agent yesterday afternoon to see about keeping insurance coverage on P's bike. I knew that chances were we wouldn't be able to have any more than liability coverage, but I wanted to make sure I got it taken care of as soon as possible. I didn't want them to just drop the bike off the insurance altogether (I don't know if they would or not, but didn't want to take the chance), because then we'd have to turn the tags in to the DMV, and go through having to register it all over again when we get it ready to ride.

When I called yesterday, the lady I spoke with said she didn't deal with salvage very often, but she thought that liability was the only thing we'd be able to carry on it. She wanted to check with her boss before she told me anything definite, and promised to get back with me. I didn't hear back from her yesterday, but she called me back a little after 9 this morning. She had told me correctly...we can carry liability only on it, so she removed the collision and comprehensive today. I don't know whether we'll ever be able to have any additional coverage on it; it may just be a matter of having someone come out and inspect it like they would an older vehicle. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

I got kind of tickled at her when I was talking to her yesterday, though. I told her what had happened and why I was calling. She said, "GMAC hasn't paid out the claim yet, have they?" I told her that actually they had, and she kept saying how impressed she was. Yeah, we were too. We were very pleased with how the claim was handled from start to finish.

One interesting thing...when I took the check to the credit union to deposit it, they had to put it on hold for five business days. I was kind of surprised, because usually when I get a check like that from a company or a bank check, I have immediate access to the funds. Then she said something that I found kind of odd. She asked me before she went to make a phone call (not real sure what the phone call was all about) and get her supervisor's approval if it was a check for a claim. When she got back I questioned her about it, and she said that claim checks have a high probability of being returned. HUH?? From a national company like GMAC? Whatever.