Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Moving Along

Things are going well at the new house. I had to have someone from the phone company come out today because we were getting a dial tone at the box on the outside of the house, but not on the jacks on the inside. So the man from the phone company came and tested the box, and then came inside to test the jacks. He plugged his tester into the jack in the kitchen, and he got a dial tone. Then he plugged the phone I had in, and there wasn't one. So he said I had a bad phone (which kind of bummed me out because it's brand new), and went through to check all the other jacks in the house. While we were upstairs, I realized that my phone was fine. When I first plugged it in to the jack in the kitchen and didn't have a dial tone, I followed the directions the phone company had left when they installed the line to check the box on the outside of the house. I was able to get a dial tone with it there, so I knew the phone was fine. So when we got back downstairs, he plugged the phone back in to the jack, and it had a dial tone that time. We were both very puzzled, trying to figure out why it worked that time but not all the other times before. Oh well, at least the phone's working now, and I think I have the internet up and running too. I haven't taken my laptop over yet to be sure, but we have all the equipment and everything. Now all I need to do is take my wireless router over, and I'll be in business!

I also had our Dish Network installed today. When I called to schedule the installation, they gave me a time window of 12-5 this afternoon, so I had to plan to be there all afternoon. I didn't mind too much, because I still needed to finish cleaning the house so we can start moving in. I got the entire downstairs of the house cleaned this past weekend, so just needed to get the upstairs cleaned. I figured the upstairs wouldn't take me quite as long as the downstairs had. After all, I only had to clean the two bathrooms and vacuum all the floors, where downstairs, the kitchen took me quite a bit of time since I had to clean the counters, clean out all the cabinets, and everything else. I'll tell you, although I was able to just vacuum most of the floors upstairs, I realized just how big the house really is. That was a lot of carpet to vacuum, and it took me a while. I just love how big the rooms are, even though it means it's that much space to clean.

While I was cleaning, the hubby was bringing stuff over to the new house. He brought over some boxes and other stuff from the garage, and also brought the dining room table and some chairs, as well as the table and chairs from our kitchen. I'm hoping tomorrow I can start moving some dishes and things from the kitchen, as well as empty out the curio cabinet and buffet in the dining room, so that we can move the rest of that furniture over. We don't use the formal dining room set very often, so should be able to go ahead and move it to the new house pretty soon.

One thing that we did notice when we were getting the satellite installed was a discrepancy in the lot size. When we signed the contract on the house, the realtor gave us the exclusions and "rules" for the subdivision where the house is. Those exclusions state that each house is supposed to have 10 feet from the side of the house to the property line, meaning that the houses are supposed to be a minimum of 20 feet apart. Well, on the side of the house where they put the satellite, there are only 17 feet between our house and the house next to us. That means that each house is losing a foot and a half of lot space from what we should have. The other side is fine. A foot and a half may not sound like much, but when you consider a foot and a half from the front of the property to the back of the property, that's a lot of square footage that we're losing. So I called our agent (who was on vacation, and I hated to bother her...but she's back at work tomorrow), and she said she'd try to find out tomorrow what we need to do about it.

I know some of you are really wanting to see pictures of the new house. I will share some, I promise, but I really want to wait until we get more of our stuff moved over so that you will be able to tell what the rooms are without me posting descriptions. I have some pictures I took of the inside of the house that I showed to the hubby's family before we closed on the house, but I really want to wait and share pictures once it's becoming more of a home for us. I did take a better picture of the front of the house today, but I left my camera over at the new house when we left this evening. I'll take more pictures of the outside tomorrow (I have someone coming to install the alarm system in the morning), and will share those.

Yep, I'm ready to move in now. I have the phone, internet, and TV now, and will have the alarm activated tomorrow. What more could I need? I'd even be willing to sleep on the floor for a night or two to be able to sleep in MY OWN house!!