Sunday, May 14, 2006

Happy Mother's Day!



Although the day had a bit of a rough start for me, we ended up having a really nice Mother's Day. Why the rough start? Well, as I mentioned in an earlier post, we moved into the guesthouse on post this past Friday. At home, P. would probably have made me a special breakfast. We don't really have that capability here. Since we had no plans to work on the house today, we slept in and got started too late to make the inn's Continental Breakfast. We went to the food court, hoping to get biscuits and gravy at Popeye's, but apparently they're not open for breakfast anymore. Too bad, too, because I really liked their biscuits and gravy. So I figured I'd have to settle for Burger King, which I wasn't crazy about. When we get back to the States, I won't care if I never eat at Burger King again! Well, we tried to go in, but they don't open until 10:30 on Sunday mornings. It was 10:00. OK, another frustration. Then we drove over to the DFAC. Thank goodness they were open! They always have a special Mother's Day brunch. It was nice. I had a really yummy omelet and some biscuits and gravy (which was what I really wanted anyway...lol). Everybody was able to get pretty much exactly what they wanted to eat.

After brunch, we went over to the PX to get some things we needed. We had made the decision that P. and the kids weren't going to try to surprise me this year because of the move. So I got to pick what I wanted. They got me a lovely Topaz ring and earrings to match a necklace my best friend gave me about a week ago. I'll have to write more about that later. P. got a couple of movies he wanted (we're such movie freaks). We took the kids to the bookstore and let them pick out a couple of books they wanted, and they also each got a game for their Gameboys for the flight home.

After leaving the PX and getting a couple of things we needed to work on the house this week, we went over the furniture store to look around. We plan to buy new living room furniture when we get back to the States. The living room furniture we have now has been with us since I was pregnant with J. (my oldest), and has been through five moves with us...this one is the sixth. The loveseat has a spot in it that's broken. It's about time to get something new. So we went just for some ideas for furniture. We plan to get the kids new bedroom furniture, too, and we have never had a full bedroom suite ourselves. Now that we're in a position to be able to do it, we're going to get some new furniture.

After all that, we came back and rested for the afternoon. P. asked me what I wanted to do for dinner. I told him I wanted to go to one of my favorite restaurants, out in Pottenstein. The Americans refer to this restaurant as "Steak on a Stone" and very few people know what it's really called. I will really miss this place, because I don't think there's any place like it in the U.S. We all had the kangaroo (yep, the kids too) and loved it. We said farewell to the owner and told him we were moving back to the States. He wasn't very happy...lol.

To my mom and my husband's mom, as well as all of my friends who are moms, I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day! Take some time out to enjoy your special day.