Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Snaggletooth

The hubby and I were sitting here this evening, and the kids had been upstairs playing. I was chatting with a friend of mine and he was catching up on some of his TV shows on the DVR.

The princess came running downstairs and stood next to the hubby's chair. She said "my tooth's really wiggly, Daddy, and I want you to yank it out!" I looked at her in disbelief. What?!? She WANTS her daddy to yank out her tooth?? I can remember my dad offering to pull my loose teeth out using various methods (floss tied to the doorknob, pliers, you name it), and the thought always sent shivers down my spine.

It was pretty funny watching him trying to get her tooth ready to pull. He got a paper towel and dried the tooth off so he could get hold of it. As soon as he got it good and dry, she'd run her tongue over it. He protested, then dried it off again, only to have her run her tongue back over it one more time. He protested again, asked her to leave it alone because if she wanted him to pull the tooth it had to be dry so he could hold it with her fingers. Finally, he dried it one more time and she left it alone.

So he grabbed the tooth, and gave it a quick yank. I noticed that out of the corner of my eye, and looked up. A had a look of surprise on her face, but didn't make a sound. Daddy showed her the tooth, and she grinned. She looked at him, then looked at me and said "it didn't even hurt!" Then she had to go check herself out in the mirror.

Of course I had to take a picture. She was just so cute after he pulled her tooth. She was skipping around the house happily, talking about how happy her teacher was going to be, because her teacher keeps some kind of board so she knows when each student loses each tooth. And she's talking with the cutest snaggletooth lisp now, too. She was telling her daddy what toy she got with her Happy Meal from McDonald's before she went to bed tonight, and told him "I got the Wicked Witch of the Eastht!" He had her repeat it so he could hear the cute lisp, and then J wanted to hear her say it again, too, and we all got a case of the giggles. She looked a bit embarrassed, but we assured her that we just want to enjoy hearing it while it lasts because once she gets her two permanent front teeth in she won't talk like that anymore. She seemed ok with that. Unlike her brother, she can't stand it when people laugh at her.

I should also share that she was torturing me in the car while we were waiting at the drive-through at McDonald's this evening. She had told me earlier that she thought she was going to lose her next tooth tonight because it was "really wiggly." So she wanted to show me, so propped herself up in the backseat of my car where she could see herself in my rearview mirror (meaning I could see her, too). As she propped herself up there, she used her tongue to push her tooth as far forward as she could. I said, "Eeeewwwwwww, A, stop it!" She thought it was pretty funny that it bugged me, so chose to try it a few more times, with me telling her to sit down and stop it each time. Stinker!

So she's going to have a visit from the tooth fairy tonight. I'm thinking she might get an extra dollar since she was so brave. Maybe it's just me, but I was impressed at that.