Saturday, February 24, 2007

Sitemeter

This is such a neat feature, and I'm just recently (over the last couple of months) learning about it, even though I've had it on my site since September. But I get a bit frustrated with it too.

First...why do I get frustrated? Well, I saved the settings where my ISP was excluded when counting visits to my site. But it doesn't seem to work. I like to check my page after I post or make other changes (and it's a good thing, too, because recently when I didn't check it one of my posts appeared twice). And when I check my sitemeter, I can always see the times when I've opened my blog to check it out. It's really not a big deal, but I'm just wondering why it doesn't work the way it's apparently supposed to.

Now...why I think sitemeter's pretty neat. I definitely don't get hung up on the numbers, because that's not why I started this blog. But it is pretty interesting to see how many people visit my page, and where they visit from. Some of you I recognize, but some I don't. Most of you link to me from (probably) mutual friends' pages. Sometimes, though, I get a hit from a google or blogger search. Those are pretty interesting, especially the search terms that sometimes cause my blog to show up in the results. More than once I've gotten a hit from someone searching for "Steak on a stone in Pottenstein." I wrote about our final visit there in one of my very first entries. Man I miss that place. Anyway, some of the searches make me wonder, and some of them bring back fond memories.

I love meeting new people, and I have met a couple of really neat people through this blog, one of who has a blog which has become a new addiction for me. She and I actually have quite a bit in common from what I can tell so far (those of you who truly know me know that I can be pretty outrageous sometimes, and usually quite outspoken), and I'm learning to express myself a little more bravely here, at least to a point. I'm at least finding that I have more to write about than I originally thought.

OK, so this entry started out talking about sitemeter, and evolved into something a bit different. Funny how a lot of my posts do that...hence the title of my blog? After all, I do tend to ramble on sometimes!