Friday, February 9, 2007

I Love...

Nights like tonight.

I mentioned in my last post that we were going out for dinner tonight. We went to Carraba's, which is my favorite Italian restaurant. For those of you who have never been, it's an Italian Grill, and I find it to be the closest thing here in our area to REAL Italian food. When I say REAL Italian food, I mean the kind of food we had when we spent Spring break in Italy last year. That was an awesome trip!

So why was tonight such a great night? The kids really were on their best behavior. The last few time we've gone out to eat they have complained about waiting for their food. I don't understand this, because they don't wait half as long for their dinner here as they did when we would eat out in Europe, and they hardly ever complained there. I guess they've already become way too accustomed to the instant gratification that is a huge part of the American culture. But tonight was different. I did tell them as we were leaving the house that I didn't want to hear ONE complaint about waiting for their food at the restaurant tonight. After all, they do have to wait for their food to be cooked, and after all, how long does it take Mommy to cook dinner sometimes? So we got to Carraba's and it was going to be about a half-hour wait for a table. But both of the bar tables were empty, and they're on a first-come-first-served basis. I learned this when Christy and I went out for her birthday. Thank you, Christy! So we asked if we could sit there, and they said absolutely. So we went ahead and got a table there instead of waiting. After all, waiting for a table for a half-hour isn't fun with two kiddos.

So we got our table, and they got their kiddie menus with activities and crayons. They decided right away what they wanted to eat and drink before they even started with the fun stuff. I didn't even have to remind them! Carraba's does something fun for the kids when you ask (at least we have to ask at ours). They'll bring them bread dough to play with and shape, and then bake it. So I asked for dough for the kids, the waitress brought it, and that kept them busy for a while too. So we had our dinner, and it was incredible. I'm never disappointed at that place! Christy, I strongly recommended that P. get that yummy lobster ravioli that I had the night you and I went out. He wasn't disappointed.

After dinner and dessert, we came home and told the kids to play quietly. They're restricted right now from playing together until they can learn to play without fighting. As soon as they got close together they started arguing and fighting, so I had to separate them again. UGH! I don't get it. P. had to run out to the store, and while he was gone, A. came down to get her PJs. After he got home, we were sitting here watching TV, and I realized the kids had gotten awfully quiet. That usually means they're getting into something. So I went to check on them, and they're both in bed fast asleep. I was shocked! We all had a busy day. It's been a long time since they did that though. They must have been utterly exhausted. They're such good kids. I think that's why I get so frustrated when we have days like we've had all week. I know everybody has bad days, and I can handle that. But when a bad day or two turns into a bad week, it starts to feel like it's almost too much. But when it comes down to it, I love my babies more than anything, and they know it. I remind them constantly that I love them, even when I'm upset. And their daddy told them the same thing last night.

Wanna know what incredibly sweet thing my son said to me today? As we were waiting for the bus this morning, I was checking my email. I read something funny and smiled. J. tells me, "Mommy, I like your smile." Things like that just warm my heart. I kind of like my smile too, and I want to do it more.