Sunday, March 4, 2007

NC Drivers...

OK, so here's the first of two rants that I promised.

The stupidity of some drivers around here never ceases to amaze me. I mentioned earlier that we rode the motorcycles up to the hubby's parents' house yesterday. Well, at one point, we were turning left from an intersection with a traffic light. It wasn't one of those where we had a green signal. We had traffic across the intersection from us, and I was trying to figure out where they were going. Every single of one of them turned left at that intersection, and not a single one of them used a damn turn signal. I was pissed! After all, here I am on a motorcycle with my daughter on the back with me. I wasn't about to turn left in front of a pick up truck when I didn't know which way he was going.

Then when we were coming back without the kids last night, we were driving along down a street, and there was another road that merged with the one we were on. I saw two vehicles coming to merge, so at least I was watching for them and slowed down a bit. It was a good thing I wasn't any closer than I was, because the first car didn't even slow down, much less look! It was some kind of compact, sports type car. A minivan was behind it, and I was closer to it. He did at least stop at the intersection, although he pulled out practically on my tailpipe. I was watching him, though, so I sped up enough to keep him from being right behind me. When the hubby and I came to the next red light, I told him it was a darn good thing I was watching for those other drivers, because they sure as heck weren't watching for me.

Then today when we were riding over to the mall, the ultimate in stupidity happened. We were sitting at an intersection, and the road we were traveling on had three lanes going one way. As we pulled to the light, we heard emergency sirens, and when I looked to my right, there was a Fire Chief's truck approaching the intersection. Right about that time, the light turned green. The hubby and I were sitting in the center lane, and our lane and the lane to our right stayed still. But we sat and watched as a MINIMUM of four cars continued through the intersection while the emergency vehicle was trying to get through it. Aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhh! I'm sitting there yelling (as if they can hear me), "stop, stupid!" It's a darn good thing the emergency vehicles have to slow down and/or stop when approaching and going through an intersection. It's just too bad people can't drive the way they should.

So, the moral of this story? Pay attention for emergency vehicles and get out of the way. Second, use your damn turn signals! It won't kill you, I promise!