Monday, March 12, 2007

Beautiful Sunday

I was going to write this entry last night, but got tied up doing school work. Then by the time I was finished with that, I wanted nothing more to do with the computer so put it down and relaxed with my current cross-stitch project. Man, I forgot how therapeutic that can be.

Anyway, we had a wonderful day yesterday. Apparently I did manage to get through to the kids at least to a point on Saturday. Yesterday when I told the kids it was supposed to be another perfect day to ride, they went upstairs and got their rooms cleaned up in about 20 minutes. Yay! So we got ready and went for a ride. We decided to go have lunch at Hooters. We absolutely love that place...the food is great, and the kids eat lunch for free on Sundays. And to make it even better, we got to watch the game between UNC and NC State...not much better than a Tarheel/Wolfpack game. And I'm happy to report that UNC won! Double Yay!!

While we were having lunch, my mom called. She's selling her house. This is the house I grew up in, so I'm kind of sad about it in a way, although I completely understand and think she's making the right decision. Anyway, she got an offer on the house last week, so although she doesn't have a contract with a buyer yet, that could possibly happen this week. I didn't think she'd have any trouble selling the house, but I'll admit that I was surprised about just how quickly she got an offer. Anyway, she told us that we needed to go over and go through the boxes of things that she packed up after Daddy died. I had been putting it off, figuring that would somehow delay things, but I couldn't put it off anymore. Since the hubby has a busy week this week, we decided we needed to go on over there after lunch yesterday. So we came home and traded the bikes for the pickup truck and headed over to Mom's house. Once we got there and got started going through things, I actually started to enjoy it. There are so many memories in that house...almost 23 years' worth of memories. And I found so many things that mean so much to me...the scrapbook I made when I won the spelling bees - I realized this year is the 20-year mark since my trip to Washington, D.C., for that. I found the album my mom started for me with all the awards I ever won at school, the horses I collected when I was a kid. So many things. And I sat and thought about how my life has gone in a completely different direction than I ever thought back then. But I don't regret anything. I'm content. After all, I have a loving husband, two beautiful children, and have experienced more than I ever thought I would have.

Anyway, after that we came back to the house and unloaded what we had brought back from the truck. Since the time changed the night before, I knew we had over an hour of daylight left. So I asked the hubby if he wanted to go for another ride before it got dark. After he asked me if that was a trick question and I assured him it wasn't, we geared up, got the kids ready, and rode down to St. Pauls and treated the kids to McDonald's. Yes, we have a McDonald's closer than that, but it wouldn't have been as fun to go to the one just down the street! After all, the whole point was to RIDE! So we ate dinner, let the kids play on the playground for a bit, and headed home before it got dark. Then the kids got their showers and went to bed, and I got busy on my school work.

I just love days like we had yesterday. And we're supposed to have even more beautiful weather this week. It's supposed to be 81 degrees tomorrow, and 84 on Wednesday. Have I mentioned lately that I LOVE the South?