Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Inspection

Today our property manager came and inspected the home we're renting. They only do this process twice a year, and we've been in the house just under a year, so this was only the second time I've gone through it. But it stresses me out! She comes in with her digital camera and takes pictures of each room. She takes pictures of the room from every angle, I guess to show what all we have on the walls and such so they know how many holes we've put in the walls. It's not like we won't be filling them in. She also looks for marks and damage on the walls and floors and takes photos of every little thing she sees. We've always rented houses or lived in Government quarters since we got married, but I can honestly say this is the first time we've had to have inspections like this. Well, this is also the first time we've rented through a property manager, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Don't get me wrong; I think it's a good idea, and when we have to move again and consider renting our house out, I will probably want a property manager that has a similar inspection policy. I know that although we treat every home we live in as if it's our own, a lot of people don't take care of homes they rent. At least with these periodic inspections, there is much less of a chance of there being major damage to a home when the tenant moves out. I completely understand why a landlord would want a property manager to do this. It's just a pain in the rear for me because I stress that they're looking at the cleanliness of my house too. My house isn't DIRTY, it's just messy more often than not. After all, I have two kids, and up until just under a month ago, I was also working more than full time hours. So I'm just finally getting caught up on all the housework I had been neglecting. Oh well, since I'm always trying to look at the positive side of things, the timing at least makes sense. I'm spring cleaning at the same time we're preparing for a move. And now I pretty much have the house cleaning up to the point where now all I have to do is get on a maintenance schedule that I can carry over to the new house.