Monday, May 7, 2007

Sigh

It always makes me sad to hear about the loss of a Soldier (or Airman, Marine, Sailor) "over there." It hurts. But when that person is a friend or loved one of someone I know, it personalizes it even more for me, and it hurts more.

I was getting ready to go out for the afternoon with the family Saturday when my cell phone rang. It was the girl who was our realtor, and who turned into a good friend. Come to find out, one of the nine Fort Bragg soldiers killed last month was her husband's cousin. They had been out of town for the week for the services in his hometown, and she was calling to ask if we could find out the information about the Memorial Service on Fort Bragg. I think his parents were wanting the information, because they were trying to decide whether they wanted to come here for it.

Finding the information about the Memorial was more difficult than I expected. This was one of those times that I missed our little post in Vilseck. It was so much easier to get that kind of information there. I tried Saturday and Sunday to call around on Fort Bragg to get the information. The first place I tried was the Chaplain's office - I thought for sure they'd know. No answer at either number I tried. I finally found the online phone book for the installation, that included the numbers for the individual units. I called the number for the unit, but the soldier on staff duty Sunday didn't know anything. He told me to call back the next morning, though, and somebody would be able to help me then.

I called the unit back today, and a Staff Sergeant was able to give me the information I was looking for. I called my friend, and she had just gotten back in town late last night. I gave her the information she needed, although I felt bad that I hadn't been able to get it for her earlier than today.

But you know, it kind of felt good to feel like I was a part of the "Real Army" again. It felt good to be able to help someone, even in a small way.