Thursday, May 31, 2007

Forgot to Mention

Well, I didn't forget to mention this, really, but I thought it deserved its own post.

I was so incredibly proud of my kids on Saturday while we were at Arlington. Well, I was proud of them all weekend, actually, but especially at Arlington. They're stinkers, and are up to something more times than not, but they know how to really behave in certain situations.

When we were walking up to the Tomb of the Unknowns, there was a sign that said "Silence and Respect" just before we entered the area. The hubby and I were walking ahead of the kids, who were walking with my mom and her boyfriend, so I stopped, got the kids' attention, and pointed the sign out to them. All I did was bring their attention to the sign and put my finger up to my lips, and we walked in. They were quiet the entire time we were there, never talking much louder than a whisper. And we were there for a good 45 minutes probably.

The sad thing is, that at the end of the Changing of the Guard, the 'new' guard, after the other two soldiers had left, actually had to step off his path and basically "shush" the visitors because they got loud as they were leaving. ADULTS. My husband and I were both disappointed that the need had arisen for him to have to do that. So we made sure that after we left the "Silence and Respect" zone, we praised the kids for being so good and showing so much more respect than the majority of the adults there.

There was also a sign I pointed out to the kids when we first entered the cemetery. It reminded visitors that Arlington National Cemetery is hallowed ground. Among the guidelines was a reminder that it was not a place for child's play. They really were on their best behavior the entire time we were there. It's not the first time we've visited a place like that before, though. The kids and I visited the American Cemetery in Normandy twice, so they are well aware of the kind of behavior expected of them. In fact, the last time we were at the one in Normandy, there were a couple of kids whose parents were letting them play among the headstones. They were running and shrieking, playing hide-and-seek or something of that nature. My two just sort of stared at them for a minute, and then went about their business of walking, quietly looking at headstones of those buried there.

My kids can be heathens at home, but they make me proud in situations like this. And that's the way it should be. So maybe I'm doing something right after all.