Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Mother's Day Card

I just have to share this story.

This past weekend, I took care of getting cards for my mom and the hubbys mom (as well as my sister), for Mother's Day. Each Mom got a card from the hubby and me, as well as a card from the kids. My mom and my sister got their cards on Sunday since we had lunch with them that day.

The hubby's parents came down this way yesterday. His dad had a doctor's appointment yesterday afternoon and wanted to come by to see the kids afterwards (it's been a couple of weeks since they saw the kids), and his mom came over to the house after work. We ended up going out to dinner as a belated Mother's Day meal for her.

Before she came over, I had the hubby sign her card from him and me, and I had the kids sign theirs. I neglected to tell them to put the card in the envelope and seal it, so J left it laying on the counter after he signed it. The hubby picked it up and read it and started laughing in disbelief. He read it to his dad and me, and we both started laughing as well. I was thinking about how his mom would react (I knew she'd think it was adorable), and just cracked up. SnogDot, I think you'll appreciate this one in light of your "Bug" stories.

Here's what he wrote:

Happy Mother's Day. Please give me $5.00. Thank you. Love, J.

Leave it to the 8-year-old. At the bottom of the card he did think to write "I love you."

We all had a good laugh about that one. Nana just thought it was the cutest thing in the world, though.

We had dinner at Texas Roadhouse. When we got ready to leave, the hubby's dad went back inside for a minute. He came back out and asked me if it was ok for him to honor the request. I love him for that. I really appreciate that he respects me enough to ask. I told him I didn't mind.

So he honored the boy's request for $5. Made his day. Nana had already given each of them a $1 bill. But his face just lit up when Papa gave him a $5 bill. Of course the girl got one too. I'll have to share a story soon about the not-so-smart hostess that night. Bless her heart.

So the boy got his $5. Stinker.

Funny thing was what he told me this morning.

J: Mom, did you know not many people have a $5 bill?
Me: What are you talking about?
J: It's like a $2 bill.
Me: No, Sweetie, it's not. There are only a few $2 bills out there. But there are LOTS of $5 bills.
J: Oh.

He's so doggone cute. Even when he's in trouble, he's cute.

Here's something sweet he said to me last night. My mother-in-law was telling me about a lady she works with. She's a DODDS teacher on Fort Bragg. This particular lady came to Fort Bragg from Vilseck Germany, and knew J there. They went to school with my MIL one day and got to see this lady. She remembered the boy, but didn't remember the girl. A was in Kindergarten there, and I guess she didn't see many Kindergarteners.

So we were talking about how most people remember J once they've met him. He has eyes that are nearly impossible to forget. In fact, everybody that knows him before they know me say something about "those eyes" once they know I'm his mom. A's a beautiful little girl, but J's eyes really get folks.

So J asked me why people remember him. I told him it's because he has such pretty eyes. He looks at me and says, "so do you!" That really got me, and I hugged him real big and told my baby thank you. He says, "well, they're the same color." He's right. He has my eyes. That's the one feature I've always liked about myself.

But the kids just crack me up. I never know what they're going to come out with next.