Friday, January 26, 2007

Selective Hearing

It apparently starts early with the male members of our species. Here is the conversation I had with my son last night. They had just had their bath and gotten their pajamas on, and were supposed to be cleaning their rooms - especially J.'s which is where they play most of the time. About 15 minutes before bedtime I figured I'd ask how the room cleaning was going.

Me: J., is your room clean?
(Silence)
Me: Hello??
J.: Huh?
Me: Is your room clean?
(Silence)
Me: Answer me!
J.: Huh?
Me: IS YOUR ROOM CLEAN??
(Silence)
Me: J., I've asked you the same question three times and I expect an answer!
J.: What was the question?
Me: I think you know what the question was; why don't you tell me?
J.: Is my room clean?

See, it's not a hearing problem...it's a listening problem. P. called me last night right as I was getting ready to send them to bed, and I told him about the conversation. He laughs. Laughs! I tell him I'm glad he can laugh about it when he's gone because if he were here, and it was him having the conversation instead of me he'd be pissed! "Yeah, I know," he says. MEN!!