Saturday, January 27, 2007

Our Day

J. had another basketball game today. He played great. He just gets better every game. I'm thinking that basketball might be a really good sport for him. He does well and he enjoys it. As well as they all played, though, the other team played better. We lost by about 9 points (I think...they didn't leave the final score up long after the game). I think the other team had an unfair advantage, though. Their center stood head and shoulders above the rest of the kids. Another mom said she wanted to see his birth certificate...lol! With his height advantage and the fact that they lower the goals for this age group, he seemed to just be able to reach up and toss the ball into the hoop. He played rough, too. Our kids weren't intimidated though...they played great defense.

After the game, we went to lunch. This has become a bit of a tradition. J. has chosen to go to Pizza Hut three out of four weekends. He was really wound up after the game though. He goes through stages when he just simply does not want to listen to me. It probably had a lot to do with the fact that Dad was away, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating. So while I needed to go to Radio Shack to get a new battery for the remote for my car (that's another story), I wasn't about to take him over there with the way he was acting. I could just see him messing with things he knows not to mess with and tearing stuff up. So we came home to try to get the house cleaned up before Daddy got home.

So we got home and I sent the kids upstairs to get to work on their rooms while I worked downstairs. I hear some noises that don't sound like cleaning and ask what's going on. A. says "J.'s playing basketball in my room." I swear he does everything besides what I tell him to do sometimes. We've been really lenient with letting the kids spend time with their Nana and Papa whenever they (Nana and Papa) ask, but that's about to stop. I'm putting my foot down, and they won't be doing the fun things they want to do anymore if they don't fulfill their responsibilities here at home. Yep...Mean Mom's about to get meaner.

P. finally got home late this evening. His folks were hoping we'd come up there to spend the night so P. could get up to go to a men's breakfast at their church at 0730 tomorrow morning, but he's just exhausted. After being cooped up in a conference room for training for the past three days, all he wants to do is relax here at the house, have a couple beers and watch some TV. Don't think we'll make it up for him to go to the breakfast tomorrow morning either.

P. was pretty frustrated about being cooped up all day today. The temps were in the low 70s today, and the sun was out. Perfect riding weather. He and one of his soldiers who also rides were looking longingly out the window all day. His soldier told him "there sure are a lot of bikes out there." P.'s like "man, I don't even want to hear it." I think I was just as frustrated as he was, because the kids were asking me today if we could go riding. I had to remind them that I can't take both of them out on my motorcycle. We have to have both Mommy and Daddy home for all of us to be able to ride. They were pretty disappointed, but I guess that's another "fun" thing that I'll have to start withholding if they don't do their job around here. Their only jobs are homework and cleaning their rooms right now, so there's no reason they shouldn't be able to do that.

Oh well, that's about it for what's been going on around here today. That, and the fact that I have yet to train them to let me sleep late on the weekends...ugh!