Saturday, January 27, 2007

Friends

I just had to share this. We were stationed at Fort Hood from Feb. 1999 through Dec. 2000. The end of December...we were in El Paso for New Year's. While we were at Fort Hood, I met a lady who would become one of my best friends. The friendship started online. Her husband was in Korea and mine was in Bosnia, and we met on a message board on America Online. After talking for a few weeks, we learned that we lived only two blocks from each other. My husband got back from Bosnia before hers returned from Korea, and the first time we met in person was after P. got home. She became one of my best friends for the last year we were at Hood. She got to know J. pretty well, and came to visit me when A. was born. She was one of the main reasons I was so sad when we left Fort Hood.

They moved on post after we moved away, and we flew in once and stayed with them once after we moved to El Paso. Over the years since we've left, we've stayed in touch through letters and email, sometimes sporadically. But the important thing is that we never really lost touch with each other.

Tonight we had a nice, long talk through IM. I love talking to her because we GET each other. In some ways our worlds seem so very far apart, but in some ways they're so similar. Our husbands are dealing with some of the same issues, but also some different ones. But we GET each other. She's dealing with the same emotions I've been dealing with. Some of them have been brought on by different circumstances, but the emotions are very much the same anyway. I was reminded just how much I've missed her, as I am every time I talk to her. We always seem to pick up right where we left off, and it's wonderful. SA, I love you, and I hope you always remember that. Thank you so much for "listening" to me tonight, and please remember that I'm always here for you, too.