Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Independence Day

myspace

myspace



Today is the day we Americans celebrate our independence.

I took the kids to watch a parade today. My hometown has an annual 4th of July celebration, even as small as the town is. The celebration isn't nearly as big as it was when I was a kid, but I still kind of enjoy going. It gives me the opportunity to see people that I haven't seen in years, or that I may not get to see any other time. They used to have fun activities for kids of all ages, but it seems nowadays the only thing they have is a dunkin' booth. It wasn't run very well this year, either. Oh well, J enjoyed the chance to dunk the guy in the booth. He came pretty close, too, but wasn't able to hit the target just right. They let him go up and push it after his five tries, though, so he got to dunk him anyway.

I walked around for a bit and said hello to people I have known since I was a kid. Folks that watched me grow up and can't believe "you girls" (my sister and me) are all grown up already. Most recognized me right away, but some take a minute. I was told that I sound just like my mom today. That's not the first time I've been told that, although it is the first time in person...usually people hear me on the phone and think I sound like her.

After a while the kids and I came home to see how the hubby was doing on getting the pool put up. We got a pool in Germany and had let his parents take it home last year since we didn't have a good place to put it at the rental. Well, we have a nice sized yard here, with a great place to put the pool, so we picked it up from his parents' house when we picked the kids up Tuesday. So he put it up today. When we got home they had to wait a bit for it to finish filling up before they could get in it. Soon as they could, though, they were in that pool!

I ran to the grocery store to get a few things for the burgers the hubby planned to put on the grill this afternoon. The kids were in the pool when I got home. I called my mom to see if she and her boyfriend wanted to join us for burgers, but she didn't answer so I left her a message. I figured they were on their motorcycles since I had seen them at the 4th of July celebration earlier. Not even five minutes after I left her a message, I heard them pull up on their bikes...talk about great timing!

We visitied for a while, and a good friend of ours came over for a bit too. He took a look at their bikes while he was here and is going to help get them running the way they should. We all ate and visited for a bit, and our friend left since he was on his way out of town this afternoon. Mom and V visited for a while longer but had to leave because he's going out of town tomorrow, and Mom leaves in the opposite direction on Friday.

I finally made the kids get out of the pool (with much protesting) and they came in to get dressed. I figure they were probably in there a good four hours this afternoon. I took them to see fireworks tonight, without the hubby. He stayed at home...fireworks make him nervous, as they do probably most war veterans. The kids and I enjoyed the fireworks show in our town here, and we came home and they went to bed.

I hope you all enjoyed your 4th of July. I just want to take a minute to say thank you to our military and their families, past and present, who serve to protect the freedoms we enjoy, and often take for granted.

THANK YOU!!