Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Rough Night

Last night we had a monster thunderstorm come through. We had a pretty good storm that scared the kids around 5:30 or 6:00 in the evening, and then it cleared up for a while. After everybody had gone to bed we had another one come through. I actually went to bed a bit earlier than usual (I'm quite the night owl) because I was really tired and wanted to try to get a bit more sleep.

Hubby and I usually sleep really well during storms. There's something relaxing about the rumble of thunder and the sound of rain on the roof. This time was different. The storm woke us up last night. Well, I'm not sure whether it was the storm that woke me or the sound of a house alarm. I don't know what exactly set it off, but after a particularly loud crash of thunder, this very annoying siren started going off. Well, apparently the people who live in the house were out of town or something, because it just kept screaming. I even ran outside in the storm to make sure it wasn't my car alarm. I didn't think it was because it was so loud, but just wanted to be absolutely certain. I didn't want to be responsible for that much noise at 2 a.m. It kept on through the rest of the night.

When we got up this morning (we overslept...imagine that) I still heard it. I was trying to hustle the kids to get them ready for school. Went outside and sat to watch and make sure they got on the school bus and came inside...all the while still hearing this annoying alarm. P. got up and got ready for work, and when he went out to leave, there were about 5 or 6 police cars outside the house across the street from us. Guess now we know for sure who the culprit was...lol. I went outside about 30 minutes after he went to work because the alarm was still sounding, but the police were gone. Hmmmmmmm. Came back inside, showered and dressed, and sat here trying to work. Do you know how distracting something like this is? I had the TV on, so that did cover up the sound some, but it was still constantly there. I told P. later that this should be some kind of torture method because I felt that it was going to drive me absolutely NUTS. It FINALLY stopped between 11:30 and 12:00. I don't remember exactly what time it was, but it was right before P. came by the house to see if I wanted to go to lunch with him. I guess they finally got in touch with whoever lives in that house. When I noticed it was finally quiet, I stepped outside onto the front porch and there was a little car parked in the driveway of the house. When P. and I left to go to lunch it was gone. Oh well...thank goodness it finally stopped. Hopefully tonight will be quieter.