Monday, August 28, 2006

Feeling Like Home

Well, I was definitely feeling better this weekend. We spent all day Saturday getting the house organized. We got quite a bit done. I worked downstairs and P. worked upstairs.

He spent a big part of the day organizing the kids' rooms. They have so much stuff, and quite a few of their toys were still in boxes in their rooms. It was nearly impossible to walk in there, and was really a bit too overwhelming for them to clean. P. got two huge storage containers at Walmart on Friday for them to put their larger toys in. Then he worked some more in our bedroom, hanging things on the walls and organizing some more. I still have clothes I need to get put away. Trying to figure out where to put them all is a challenge. We got new bedroom furniture after we moved here. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to utilize it.

I spent the better part of the day getting the den/family room in order. There was still quite a bit of stuff we had taken out of boxes that had not been put away and was still on the tables in the den. I had clothes I had to sort through and decide what to keep and what to give to charity. It felt so good to get this room done. This is where we spend the majority of our time at home, and I wanted it to be a place to relax. As of Saturday evening, it finally is. That felt like a real accomplishment to me. Now I just need to finish the kitchen, dining room, and living room and the downstairs will be finished. After we get our bedroom and bathroom finished, the next task upstairs will be the bonus room. That's going to be a challenge, but we'll get it done.

I had planned to get more done Sunday, but my plans didn't quite work out like I'd hoped. There was quite a bit of work that needed to be done in the yard, so P. spent the better part of the afternoon doing that. I had a school assignment I had to focus on since I was sick all week and spent Saturday working on the house. It took longer to get that done than I thought due to interruptions, so didn't get to get anymore housework done. Oh well.

I think I'll be happier once we get the house done. We still have a lot of stuff in the garage to go through, but it seems a bit less overwhelming now with the work we got done this weekend. I think once my house feels more like a home everything else will start to fall into place.