Monday, August 28, 2006

My Little Ballerina

Let me begin this entry by telling a little bit about myself. Those who really know me know that I absolutely LOVE to dance. I'm pretty good at it, too. I'm not saying that to be conceited...it's one of my talents. What very few people know about me, however, is that I actually was a formally trained dancer. I received formal training in Tap and Jazz for nearly ten years from one of the best instructors in the Fayetteville, NC, area. THE best in my opinion. Tap was my very favorite. I also took a tiny bit of ballet...less than a year. I had the opportunity when I was in high school to attend a summer program called Governor's School. It was based mostly on academics, but since I went for one of the arts, I also had to audition. It was one of the best summers of my life.

Princess A. had a little bit of ballet when we were in Germany, and she loved it. It wasn't the best instruction in the world, but it was a decent introduction. Her teacher PCS'd after only one session, though. For the last year we were in Germany, A. was so disappointed that she couldn't take ballet again. Under the new teacher, though (who I heard was very good), classes for A.'s age and experience level were in the middle of the day, and I worked full time. Anybody I knew who I trusted to pick her up from CDC and take her also either worked or couldn't do it because of other obligations. So we had to put it off for that year, but I promised her that when we moved back to the States I would see what I could do.

When I found out we were returning to North Carolina for a couple of years, I told P. that if my former dance teacher was still in the business, I wanted to put A. into dance classes with her. She really wanted to take ballet, and I really wanted to have her try tap since it was my favorite and what I was best at. We got here and I found out that my former teacher is, indeed, still in business. Her husband actually owns the dance school now, and she is the lead instructor and has several that teach for her. Back when I was her student, she taught every single class. She had two classes every evening from Monday through Thursday, and then one on Saturday. So that was nine classes a week that she personally taught. Back then, though, she was renting space at another dance studio. Now that she has her own school, she has four classes every evening the same nights of the week as before, and she obviously can't teach them all.

I knew classes started today. I intended to go last week to get A. registered, but since I was sick all week, I obviously wasn't able to do so. I went with the kids to the dance school today to get A. registered. I didn't plan for her to participate today. She wasn't dressed properly and she doesn't have ballet or tap shoes yet. Well, we got there and my former teacher, Linda, was in the studio when we walked in. Let me just say...it's been almost fifteen years since the last time I saw her, and she hasn't changed a bit. After I filled out the paperwork, she suggested we go ahead and let A. dance today, so I agreed. Linda said just this once it would be ok if she wasn't dressed appropriately. A. was so excited! Ballet actually comes quite naturally to her, and I was so proud. Linda is actually the one teaching her ballet class, and I couldn't be happier about that. The same woman I took dance from all those years ago is teaching my daughter ballet. I was actually on the verge of tears a couple of times during the class as I watched. Sappy, I know, but who cares?? Both of her classes are on Mondays, back-to-back. It will be nice to only have to go once a week.

Tap was more challenging for her...she has to work harder at that, but it'll be good for her. What an accomplishment that will be for her when she gets it! And watching her, I know she'll get it, and she'll be so proud of herself. Besides, with that being my strong suit, I can help her out at home. All the steps came flooding back as I was watching the teacher go through the exercises with her. I could see that she was getting frustrated when she didn't get it right away, but she was really watching, and kept trying. She never gave up. That made me so proud. I really like her tap teacher too. She's very encouraging and wouldn't let A. give up. I just watched and never intervened or interfered. A. needs to learn to trust her teachers.

I felt really great at the end of the evening. I even kept the tradition from my days of dancing and took the kids to McDonald's afterwards. Not a great choice for a dancer, but hey...they're kids!! J. was with us and was so good the whole two hours. He didn't complain the whole time, and I know he was bored. What a trouper!! I know it was hard for him...sitting still is such a challenge. So McD's was a big reward for him, too. Little by little I'm beginning to feel a part of my new community. Maybe my life will get back to normal (whatever that is) soon after all!