Saturday, August 11, 2007

More Improvements

I really need to get outside and take some pictures of all the work we've done out there over the past couple of weeks. Well, last weeked it was the hubby doing the majority of the work outside, but that's really mostly because he was putting trees and plants in the ground. If I mess with plants, they die.

He had to go in to work for a while today. It was a processing Saturday, which is usually the Saturday before a mission day. Then after he came home, we all had lunch, and he and I went outside to get to work putting up the privacy fence. The materials for the fence were delivered on Wednesday. The good thing is that it was almost 20 degrees cooler today than it has been all week. When we went outside a little after 1 this afternoon, I think the temperature was about 86. Thursday and Friday we had temps of about 112. Crazy!

I had gone Thursday to get the permit we needed to put up our fence. I ended up having to go to three different places. Well, the first was because of an incorrect assumption on my part. I've always considered Hope Mills as a sort of subdivision of Fayetteville, so I went over to Fayetteville City Hall to get the permit. They told me Hope Mills has their own Town Hall and Inspections Department. Duh! So after having lunch with the hubby, I go over to Hope Mills Town Hall to apply for the permit, only to find out that we're just (barely) outside city limits and don't need one from Hope Mills either. So I called over to County Inspections, and found out I had to get a permit from them. So I went over there to get the permit, and was actually able to get a clearer copy of the plot map from them too, which was great since our copy was awful. We could barely make out the numbers. So armed with the permit and the clear plot map, all I had left to do was call for the utility companies to come out and mark the yard so we didn't hit any lines while digging. I did that when I got home, and they came out and marked the lines Friday.

So today the hubby and I went out to start on the fence. I know the part we're working on right now, putting in the posts, is the most time-consuming part. We got most of one side done today before having to stop. It's hard work, but I know will be worth it when we're finished. Even more so right now considering the couple of vegetable plants we have out there right now. We have two tomato plants and a couple of English cucumber plants. All the leaves on both tomato plants had been eaten off, and we found rabbit droppings in the yard. I was not happy, nor was the hubby! Hopefully the fence will put a stop to that. The tomato plants had just put out a bloom each, too, so I don't know how this will affect when I'll have tomatoes. We can't figure out, either, why bunny ate the tomato plants and not cucumber. Oh well.

I'll try to get some photos up soon!