Saturday, July 8, 2006

Yummmmmmm

P. and I love Korean food. We haven't had good Korean food since we left Fort Hood at the end of 2000. We never found a place while we were at Fort Bliss. There was a Korean place when we were in Heidelberg that we tried once. We were very disappointed, though, so never went back.

Tonight we decided we were in the mood for Korean. It's a wonder it took this long. So I looked in the phone book and there was only one place listed. We went over there, and it was deserted. Well, I have a portable GPS and I remember looking in it a few weeks ago, and there was one listed in there just on the other side of post. So we drove over there, and it was also deserted. As a last resort, I told P. that I remembered seeing one as we've been driving around trying to familiarize ourselves with how much the area has changed. We decided to drive over there to see if it was open. We got there and were relieved to see that it was.

We went in an ordered our typical Bulgogi (is that how you spell it?). They also had a special of Bulgogi and fried rice for the kids. I thought that was a great idea since I didn't figure they'd like Kimchee. We got our dinner, including all the little dishes of Kimchee and were in heaven! P.'s favorite is the cabbage Kimchee, which is what everybody thinks of when they think of Kimchee. Well, we ran out, so he asked the waitress if he could have a big bowl of it. She brought back a to-go container (it was big) and asked if that was big enough. He said yes, and she brought it back a few minutes later wrapped in a plastic bag. He couldn't wait, and had to open it right then and there and eat some of it to finish off his dinner. She came back and told him "You ate too much, let me give you more" and filled the container again. He was so happy! He said we'll have to go once a week. LOL.

The most amazing thing, though, was that the kids were eating Kimchee before we left. They tried almost every kind we had at the table. J. has no tolerance for anything that makes his mouth burn, so I was shocked that he tried it and kept eating it. A. liked it too. I have to say, that's one wonderful thing that has come from living overseas so long. Both of my kids will try just about anything once. I always tell them that if they don't like it, that's fine. At least they can say they tried it. We really enjoyed our dinner, though, and have found a restaurant we will probably visit frequently over the next two years.