Monday, July 3, 2006

Lookie What I Did!

OK, so I have a black thumb. It's a well-known fact in my family, and something P. loves to tease me about incessantly. He's the one who takes care of any plants or flowers we may have. We had this house plant when we were in Germany that was fortunately very hardy. I'm terrible about taking care of plants, and would completely forget to water it when he was in Iraq. I'd walk by it and it would look kind of wilted, and that is when I'd remember to give it some water. I think kids are easier than plants. At least they tell me when they're hungry or thirsty...and won't let me forget...lol.

Well, although I'm extremely challenged when it comes to plants, there are things I miss about Europe. One of those things is the produce. I love English cucumbers. They're huge and sweet. They don't have to be peeled and don't get bitter like cucumbers over here tend to do. So I found a website where I could buy the cucumber seeds online. Well, this wouldn't be a problem, except for the fact that P. was in South Carolina for three weeks, so couldn't be here to be sure they got planted and lived. I was scared to death to mess with them...you know, the black thumb and everything. Well I decided to try my hand at it so I didn't have to wait for him to get home. We were already late planting them.

So one day this past week I decided to plant them. We had gotten some potting soil from his parents, as well as a couple of pots. Well, I felt like the pots were too big to start these seeds in. But I didn't really have anything else. Then I remembered the ice trays that had been in the freezer here in the house. We don't need them because our freezer has an icemaker (imagine that!) so I had taken them out of the freezer a couple of weeks ago. Hey...they'd be the perfect size to start seeds in...but what about the water drainage issue? Well, kids do school projects all the time where they plant seeds in styrofoam cups and they don't poke holes to drain the water out of them, right? Besides, they're only going to be there till they get big enough to transplant. Once they get big enough I can move them to a larger pot or tub. I have to have a container garden here because our yard really isn't big enough, plus we're renting. So I planted them Tuesday. Thursday I saw a little bit of green sticking up out of one of them. Friday, that one had leaves. Saturday, I had another one with a couple of leaves. Then today I had two more. I planted five seeds total. I have four plants popping up so far. I'm hoping the other one will come up within the next couple of days, but if not, that's ok. I have four out of five. That's not bad. Here's what they look like tonight:

Aren't they cute? I'm so proud of myself and have been careful about checking them daily. I can't wait till they're big enough and I can have those yummy cucumbers that I remember from Europe. I'll try to document how they do as they grow.