Sunday, May 28, 2006

Only 5 days?

I made some changes to my blog today and noticed my ticker at the top when I opened the page to check the results. Since my ticker was counting down to the date of our move to the States and we have, of course, reached that date, I noticed that it changed and now reads "x days since our move to the States." I noticed it said 5 days. I looked at it and asked P. if we had really only been here for 5 days. It already seems like we've been here longer than that. I'm sure it's partially due to the jet lag and how tired we are, and also partially due to the excitement that has gone on since we arrived. I think today was the first day that we got to truly rest for most of the day. The kids allowed us to sleep in, and we were just kind of lazy all day long. That was nice.

Last night we went to have dinner at my sister's house. She and her husband bought a new house a couple of years ago, and this was the first chance I'd had to see it. All I can say is WOW! It is a beautiful old house and they have so much room. They have done a great job cleaning it up and restoring it, too. Apparently the yard was a mess when they first bought the house, but they have done such a great job that they won "Yard of the Month" in their little community for May. She has incredible talent with interior decorating and has completely redecorated my mom's house in the process of remodeling over the last couple of years. She's a nurse and says that interior decorating is relaxing for her. I just have to say that I am so proud of her and her talent and wish that I had just a fraction of it. She and her husband have accomplished done very well for themselves in the four years they've been married and I'm so happy for them. They're expecting their first child in November. The timing couldn't have been more perfect. I actually get to be here when my first niece/nephew is born. I can't even begin to describe how happy that makes me!

Tonight we went out to dinner at a Chinese Buffet restaurant that also has all-you-can-eat crab legs for a couple of dollars more than the regular buffet. Boy was that good! The kids were so funny when my sister and brother-in-law took them up to the buffet to get their food. They were pretty impressed about being able to get their own food. It's amazing the things people take for granted when they have access to them all the time. I love watching my kids experience things like that for the first time though. It was so cute. Then we decided to make a run to the grocery store before we came home. It was nice to be able to do that, no matter what time it was. I love Wal-Mart! My mom and her boyfriend kept the kids while we went, and he has two cats. I know that J. has problems when he gets close to large dogs, but didn't realize how allergic he is to cats. My mom called me as we were checking out to leave Wal-Mart asking if J. could swallow a Benadryl capsule. Thank goodness he can. They were on the porch when we got there to pick them up. Poor J. had lost his voice and was still coughing when we got there. The swelling in his eyes had at least gone down. I guess it's a good thing we don't really want pets, because we couldn't have them if we did want them. Guess we'll just have to stick with fish. We were supposed to have dinner with Mom and V. over there tomorrow, though. I think we decided that they'll just bring the steaks and we'll grill them over here. I guess P. will get his Father's Day present a couple weeks early.

Like I said in my previous post. It is nice to be home, and I think I'm adjusting better every day.