Tuesday, May 9, 2006

Coming Home Soon

After five years in Germany (well, almost), we're finally coming home! I sit here and can't believe we've lived in Europe as long as we have. I was telling P. today that it seems like we've been waiting forever for this time to get here, and it has sort of snuck up on us all of a sudden!

This week we've had the movers packing everything up. I am amazed at how efficient the movers were. It took them much less time than I thought it would to get all our stuff packed and loaded. I think about the four years we've been in this house - which is actually the longest we've been in any one place in almost 12 years of marriage - and can't believe everything was packed and loaded in a couple of days. I told P. that maybe we didn't have quite as much stuff as I feared. He assured me that we have plenty of "crap" and that these professionals are just very good at their job...lol.

So now that our household goods are loaded up and gone, the next task at hand is to get the house ready for inspection so we can clear. We have our pre-inspection with the housing office and landlord tomorrow morning, and then our final inspection next week. I think I'll feel better once we have the initial walk-through and find out exactly what the landlord's expectations are. Our kids have decided over the years to express themselves artistically (which they definitely get from their daddy) - on the walls! While the landlord has told my husband that we don't need to worry about painting over it, I don't think he grasps the full concept of just how overboard my kids can go when they decide to do something like that! P. has painted over quite a bit since he returned from deployment, but the kids have redone some of what he covered up.

Oh well, today has been a long day. We'll see what tomorrow has in store for us.