Monday, May 15, 2006

More Moving Fun...

Well, up until this afternoon, it seemed like this transition was going to go pretty smoothly. Well, it's just not possible to do an Army move without having a couple of bumps in the road. One of them came today. We took the BMW to have it inspected so we could transfer the registration to the person who's buying it from us. Well, it failed. Apparently the fuel line is rusted, and there's a problem with a stabilization link in the front suspension. There was also some other stuff that I can't remember. Thank goodness for my best friend who has the hook-up at a place in Graf where she always gets their car fixed. So we took it over there this afternoon. He's going to take a look at it and call me tomorrow with an estimate.

Other than that, we spent the day at the house getting it ready to clear. More cleaning. P. had a friend come over and help him load up all the scrap wood in his workshop and take it to the recycle center. Hopefully somebody will be able to get some use out of it. Most of what he took over there is stuff he brought home from there in the first place. We left the new stuff for the landlord and loaded some things up in the BMW because the guy buying it wants some wood for some projects he plans to work on as well. We at least managed to get pretty much all the recycling stuff out of the house and garage today. That in itself was an accomplishment!! Oh...I also had to have the heating oil tank refilled. That thing holds 6,000 liters of oil, and it was full when we moved in, so had to be full when we moved out. That's a lot of oil, and as you can imagine, isn't cheap! When I was getting ready to take the car over to the shop this afternoon, P. asked if I had Euros on me because most garages charge just to look at a car. I told him "no, the oil man took it all, remember?" I can honestly say that I will not miss that at all. The oil not only heats the house in the winter...it also heats the water, so we need it year-round. It was really a hassle sometimes, and we always had to keep an eye on the gauge. Sometimes we forgot, and always ran out at the worst possible times. It's ok, though...we would just all snuggle up together until the oil man got there. Aaaahhhhh, the memories!

I guess that about covers it for today. I'll be glad when Thursday gets here and we are officially no longer tenants in the house. That will be a big load lifted. Then Friday is our final out, and we'll have the weekend to relax. I can't believe we're so close...8 days!