Tuesday, June 6, 2006

Busy, Busy!

With everything else we've had going on for the last two weeks, I just can't seem to find time for all the things I'd LIKE to do, like keeping up with my blog. I know in my last post I talked about how we had only been in the States for five days. Well, now it's been two weeks and it seems like we've been here longer because we've been so very busy!

The best news I have right now is that we found a house! It is adorable and I just love the way it's laid out. It's pretty funny, though, because I stand in that house looking around and comparing it to the house we just left in Germany. Those of you who know me and visited my home there know just how much room I had. Although it's a big house - about 2000 square feet - I'm still wondering how I'm going to get all my stuff in there. Oh well, we'll figure it out. I love the community; it seems to be really quiet. It's very comforting to know that my kids will be able to get out and ride their bikes without having to worry about traffic. The day we went to look at the house for the first time, we were there for about a half hour, and I think I only saw one car drive by the whole time. So we went ahead and signed the lease for it, although we haven't moved in just yet. Why stay in the house with no furniture when I can stay at my mom's until we have our stuff?

I got our electric and water turned on the day after we signed the lease. The same company handles all the utilities in our neighborhood, so I'll only have one bill for everything. That will be really nice. I got our cable and internet connected last week (priorities, you know), and my phone will be connected tomorrow.

We found out yesterday that the transportation office in Vilseck screwed up - imagine that! They didn't read P.'s orders as thoroughly as they should have and missed that his pinpoint assignment was already on there. He's assigned to a Battalion which is in Raleigh, but the Company is in Fayetteville. They sent our household goods to the military base that services the Raleigh area instead of to Fort Bragg. The transportation office here is trying to catch our shipment at the port so they can divert it. If they're unable to do that, then we're going to be waiting even longer for our things to get here. I know people make mistakes, but it's incredibly frustrating because P. specifically told them and pointed out that we were coming to Fayetteville. Oh well. We'll manage.

We spent this past weekend with P.'s brother and his wife. I'll make a new post for that one and share some photos.