Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Making a Difference

I was finishing up a paper for my current class tonight. It was a critical thinking assignment, and we were supposed to use the "Critical Thinking Problem Solving Model" provided for us, which my husband was sure to remind me was based on the military's problem solving process. Can't remember what he called it, but ok.

Basically, we were supposed to identify a problem in our work environment that we had been involved in finding a solution for using the problem solving model, or a current problem. Considering the fact that I'm not currently working outside the home, I chose to write about the first problem that came to mind from my job in the clinic in Vilseck. It had to do with the EFMP screenings that family members had to go through anytime they were coming to, leaving, or moving within an overseas duty station. Those of you who are or have been in the military system (especially overseas) know exactly what I'm talking about. Those of you who don't, google "EFMP" or "Exceptional Family Member Program" for more information.

Anyway, as I was writing this paper, I had to consider my role in ensuring these screenings were accounted for in my clinic. They took up a lot of time by the nurse responsible, and were not accounted for before I started working there. Once we decided that these visits needed to be accounted for, we then had to decide the best way to report them.

As I was proofreading my paper, I was trying to read it as an outsider would read it. Not to sound conceited, but the process sounded quite impressive if I hadn't been the one writing it. I talked to the hubby about it as I was writing it. I told him, "wow, maybe I did make a difference, even in a small way." My main goal in that job was to make sure that our soldiers and their family members were taken care of to the best ability of the clinic, and that the care was reported as accurately as possible. When I told him that, he said, "I'm glad you finally see it."

Did I make a difference? I don't know. I hope so. Our Soldiers (Marines/Airmen/Sailors) and their families deserve the very best our military health care system can provide. And part of that includes ensuring statistics are reported as accurately as possible to ensure the care only gets better. Did I help in that goal? I can only hope so.