Saturday, September 22, 2007

Patriot Guard

I've actually been a member of the Patriot Guard for almost a year now. Up to this point, though, I haven't been able to participate in any missions. I wish I could say that was because there had been none to attend, but unfortunately, there have been.

Hope Mills, the town I live in, lost a soldier last week. His name was SPC Steven Elrod. When I first learned of this, I thought that this might finally be my opportunity to stand for one of these brave soldiers who so fearlessly fought for us. Then last night the hubby told me he was going to be gone all day today. The Patriot Guard mission was today. Darn it.

My mother-in-law called me this afternoon, and I took the kids to their house this evening. On my way home I passed a few bikes that were obviously returning from the funeral mission for SPC Elrod. One bike had a large American flag mounted to the back of it, but it was wrapped around the flagpole...those flags aren't great for highway speeds. I saw another bike with the Patriot Guard banner mounted to the windshield. All I could think about was that I wish I could have been there with these PGR members standing for this young man. One day I'll be able to particpate.