Thursday, March 26, 2009

Getting Older Sucks!

So I had an appointment for my routine preventive visit this afternoon. Nice thing about being an Army spouse and working at the hospital on post is being conveniently close to where I need to go for my appointment. So what could have turned into 3 hours or so away from work was only an hour away from my desk, as I was able to just walk to a different part of the hospital.

So anyway, the provider is asking me questions about my medical history and my family history. He asks about history of breast cancer, and naturally I tell him about the two great-aunts on my mother's side who had breast cancer. Then he asks if I've ever had a mammogram. Umm...no. I'm 35. Routine mammograms usually start at age 40. So he says ok, we're going to order one. I asked him...do I need one at 35? He said we're going to do one simply because of your family history.

Damn it. I'm SOOOO not thrilled about this.