Saturday, March 15, 2008

Birthday Fun

My baby sister's birthday was Thursday. She's 30. She and her hubby invited my hubby and me to dinner tonight to celebrate. We jumped at the chance! We haven't spent nearly enough time with them since we got back to the States almost two years ago. We all hope to change that.

We went to this place that none of us have ever tried before. It's a bit off the beaten path, which was REALLY nice, considering the fact that it's payday weekend in a military town. I knew that "Restaurant Row" would be a nightmare tonight. This place was kind of rustic looking, but had a very elegant atmosphere and was a bit pricey. The food was quite good, and the service was fair. Not quite as I felt it should be for a place like that, but my sister made a good point when she mentioned that she could only imagine how difficult it would be to find a happy medium as a server. How do you make sure you're being attentive enough without being overbearing? Good point. I worked as a waitress for a while when I was in college, so I know that feeling all too well. The most important thing was that we all enjoyed the food and the company.

The company was enjoyable indeed. There never seems to be a time that my sister and I get together that we don't go into a fit of giggles for some reason or another. I mean the kind of laugh that makes your belly muscles ache and you can't even begin to talk. The kind of laugh that's good for the soul. Tonight was no exception. Tonight it was at her husband's expense. What a good sport he is! It's no wonder we all love him. You never know who will be the brunt of jokes with my sister and me. But it's always in good fun...we're never mean spirited about it.

I made sure to take my camera with me, but we didn't take a single damn picture. That is so out of character for me, and I'm rather annoyed with myself. Oh well...hopefully we'll be better about spending time together and have pictures next time.

I just love finally being home. It's nice to be able to just spend an evening like this together. I sure do hope we're able to stay around for a while.