Sunday, September 17, 2006

Motorcycle Mama?

Before we left Germany, P. ordered a new Harley Davidson motorcycle. He's always wanted one, as long as I've known him. Many years ago he set up an escrow account that he'd been using to save up for a custom bike. Well, with Exchange New Car Sales overseas, he had the opportunity to get a brand new H-D at a great price. We had enough in the escrow account to pay half of it in cash, financing the rest. He ordered it there and had it delivered to the local Harley shop here.

Once he knew he was getting his, he then wanted me to have one to ride with him. He thought I would enjoy riding one of my own even more than I would riding on the back of his. I had my doubts, but the thought of it definitely appealed to me. I decided I at least wanted to go through the Motorcycle Safety Course with him. Well, when we got to the States, he found a great deal on a 1981 H-D Sportster and went ahead and bought it for me. It was obvious then that I was going to have to learn to ride. Once I had my own bike, I started to get a lot more excited about it.

My mom dates a guy who rides a Harley. They take every opportunity they can to take that bike out when the weather's nice. She has also caught the fever and decided she wanted to learn to ride herself too. Her boyfriend found a used Honda that would be perfect for her to learn on. It's smaller, of course, than a Harley, and lots lighter. He decided to use that one to teach both of us on. Also, my mom's taking the Motorcycle Safety Course with P. and myself.

Today I finally had the chance to go let Mom's boyfriend teach me how to ride. I had ridden on the back of a motorcycle a couple of times, but had never driven one. There's a large, open parking lot close by where he had been taking my mom to practice. I got on the bike and he explained how everything worked on it and then got on the back of it with me to coach me through riding. We practiced a bit like that until he was confident enough in my ability to start and stop it on my own. Then he let me ride it around by myself. Having another person on the back of the motorcycle makes things a lot different. Once I got over the initial nervousness of riding alone, I found it a lot easier. I just rode around and around that parking lot until I was so tired and sore that I couldn't ride any longer. I'll be lucky if I'm able to walk tomorrow! I'm a lot taller than my mom, and I think that bike is really too small for me. I can't wait till I get the chance to practice on one that fits me.

It was awesome, though. I can't wait until I have more practice and get my motorcycle endorsement after going through the course. Once I'm legal and get the confidence to get out on the road, I know I'll enjoy it even more. I'm really quite proud of myself though. Mom's boyfriend told me that he was really surprised at how quickly I picked it up. He said I was riding like I had ridden before. I'll have to share pictures once I find the cable for my camera.