Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Growing up Too Fast...

Today is J.'s birthday. He's 8. I simply can't believe my boy is 8 years old. I remember the day he was born and what a sweet baby he was. He's still a sweet kid, but he's definitely a very active 8 year-old boy.

A couple of days ago he asked P. if he would make him pancakes for breakfast and stick a birthday candle in them. That has sort of become a tradition in our family, and is something special between Daddy and the kids. I advised J. not to get his heart set on it because it was a weekday, and P. usually reserves cooking breakfast for the weekend. But this morning P. got up early, got ready for work, and came down and cooked pancakes, and served J. his with a candle. So we sang him Happy Birthday and he blew out his candle.

This afternoon the kids visited my mom at work, and she gave them each a little present and had a little cake for them. This evening my sister and her husband came over to bring his birthday presents, because he decided he didn't want to wait until his birthday party to get them. I can't say that I blame him. We have a really busy couple of weeks, and can't do his party until October 7th. So they came over and J. got to open his presents from them. Then P.'s parents came and took the kids out to dinner - J.'s choice. His choice? McDonald's...LOL! Nana thought he'd want to go to IHOP and get more pancakes, but his mind wasn't going to be changed.

While they were at dinner, P. and I went to buy him one of his birthday presents from us. J.'s birthday party is at a roller skating center, but he said he only wanted to have it there if he could skate on roller blades. That's what he learned on, and he wasn't happy a couple of weekends ago when he had to use the old fashioned roller skates at a friend's birthday party. He used to have blades, but has since outgrown them. So I decided I'd get him a pair of roller blades to give him on his birthday so that he'd have them for his party. When he got home, we gave him his present and was very happy. He had to try them on right away. He put one on, and tried it out, deciding that it fit perfectly.

I think he had a pretty good birthday. He's a happy little boy tonight.